When it comes to account security, being proactive is the best approach for your checking account.
You may be wondering just how these Debit Card Controls boost your account security. From keeping you up to date on account activity to stopping fraud in its tracks, there are a variety of reasons to customize your controls.
Often, Card Controls can stop unauthorized transactions before they even happen. Should you misplace a card, you can easily and quickly turn it off; if someone finds it, it’s essentially just a piece of plastic. They won’t be able to use the lost card and GECU can order you a new one to replace it.
But Card Controls are just as powerful when your debit card remains on. Opt in for real-time notifications and you’ll receive an alert every time your card is used to make a purchase. If you don’t remember making or recognize a purchase you’re notified about, just turn the card off and contact us for next steps.
You can get as specific with Card Controls as you’d like, setting restrictions based on:
- Merchant type: Including department stores, entertainment, gas station, groceries, household, personal care, restaurants, travel, age restricted, and other.
- Transaction type: Including in-store, online, mail/phone order, auto pay recurring, ATM, and other.
- Location Type: Such as foreign transactions.
- Spend Limits: The card is set up to decline or issue an alert for transactions that exceed whatever amount you OK’d.
Card Controls are not set in stone, either. You can strengthen or relax them whenever you want, at your discretion. For example, if you have “gas station” transactions turned off, you can quickly turn them back on if you need to fill your tank. The change is instantaneous and you’re free to head to the pump! Or, you can restrict foreign transactions until an international trip comes up. Just remember to turn access back off when you return to the States.
Ready to dictate when, where, and how your card is used? Learn how to turn on Debit Card Controls here. General Electric Credit Union is here to help protect you and your accounts, which is why we offer Debit Card Controls through Online Banking or our mobile app. You can further monitor your transaction history and spending habits through Money Management, an online dashboard that gives you a visual display of your finances. You can even link accounts from a different financial institution so all your money is viewable in one space!
- Ransomware: 21st Century Blackmail
- 9 Pesky Fraud Schemes and How to Avoid Them
- How to Protect Yourself in the Midst of Increased Unemployment Fraud
- 7 Features to Increase Your Online and Mobile Banking Security